The second Deputy President has recently announced that victims of the last torrential rain should be prepared to go back home. But the concerned are not ready to start afresh.–Diane Uwimana
“No one would like to stay in that miserable life. We want to go back home and try to recover by trying to start afresh”, says Nininahazwe Jeannette, a mother of five children and victim of the last torrential rain occurred on 9th February 2014. Gathered at Kinama I site, in front of Kinama Commune offices, children, women and men are wandering inside the compound. Children are playing and washing their bodies from tap water. It is worth indicating that there are 64 tents installed for at least six and seven adult people with their children i.e about 20 persons shelter in one tent. Married women and men live separately. Concerning the announcement of the Second Deputy President this last Wednesday, they mention that it should be accompanied by some measure, to ensure them they will have a real and safe life after the incident. “Our houses have been destroyed during the tragic incident, we have collected nothing”, adds Goreth Nduwimana, a mother of two children, her belongings have been damaged or driven away. Today, the Red Cross agents are registering those who want to go back home willingly. Consequently, the victims find the measure inappropriate. “Most of us were tenants. But now, the holders of the land parcels are those who are going to receive funds while we should be the first beneficiaries”, regrets Nduwimana. According to them, the Second Deputy Presidency should give a hand by offering them money of a three- month tenancy while they will be trying to recover. However, Gérard Ruberinyange, Gatunguru Entity Hill Chief Officer welcomes the decision of Gervais Rufyikiri, the Second Deputy President. For him, the displaced people are in deplorable conditions. He considers that they should be assisted while they are at home. Concerning the boundaries of the parcels, Gérard Ruberinyange indicates that the owners of those parcels will indicate their areas to facilitate the task. Nevertheless, he recognizes that the problem will arise where some families have been decimated by waters.
Stabilization work is on process
This Monday morning 31 March, 2014 a caterpillar track from Setemu (Municipal Technical Services) was trying to straighten the bed of the Gasenyi River downstream. Other works were already done upstream. However, only a nozzle out of three lets water pass through so far. In addition, nothing has been done at the level of Ruvobo Hill in Isare Commune. “Mountains have collapsed causing huge damage in Gatunguru sector”, says a man met in that area. According to him, the disaster came from this water discharged into Gasenyi River and overflowed over the nozzles blocked by large stones. If it rains heavily, large and big stones that support the river bank will eventually be swept away by the flow of water
Melchior Simbaruhije, Spokesperson of the Second Deputy Presidency notes that the institution only coordinates different activities done by the Ministry in Charge of Solidarity, Human Rights and Gender. “Any activity regarding those victims is done by that Ministry. What the Second Deputy President has recently announced is an order. The Ministry in Charge of that activity must put it into practice,” says Simbaruhije. Contacted, Joseph Ndayisenga, Director General of National Solidarity Department in the Ministry of National Solidarity, Human Rights and Gender indicates that the Ministry has given some suggestions but it is still waiting for the response. “The result on how the victims are going to return in their respective households will be known next week”, he says.